We are looking for a highly motivated individual to be a core researcher and writer for the Angsana Council, an advisory strategic council sponsored by Monk’s Hill Ventures. You will get to work with some of the best minds and contribute intellectually to the development of forward looking points of view on key geopolitical and technology issues facing Southeast Asia, by producing a series of articles, blog posts, working papers and/or reports.
Monk’s Hill Ventures is a leading venture capital firm that invests in early-stage technology companies across Southeast Asia. We are entrepreneurs backing great entrepreneurs who use technology to improve the lives of millions of people in the region. The creation of this Council is an additional way for us to extend our commitment as a change agent to help Southeast Asian economies prosper from digital change.
The focus for this role is on writing for the Angsana Council. Its current members include Charles Ormiston (Founding Partner, Southeast Asia, Bain & Company), Peng T. Ong (Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Monk’s Hill Ventures), Gita Wirjawan (Former Minister of Trade of the Republic of Indonesia; Educator and Entrepreneur), and George Yeo (Former Singapore Cabinet Minister; Visiting Scholar at Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy and National University of Singapore).
You will work closely with the Council members (specifically with Charles and Peng) to create high-impact thought leadership pieces.
The role will ideally be based in Singapore or can be remote/hybrid, and report into the founding Council members (Peng and Charles).
- We are looking for someone with mature editorial judgment who can produce path-breaking, insightful work.
- Gather, research and prepare background information on topics of interest to the Council.
- Take disparate points of view from various sources including members of the Council, and distill them into a lucid and coherent thought leadership pieces.
- Reach out to other researchers, organizations and agencies as needed to write such in-depth pieces.
- Demonstrated interest and passion for technology and geopolitics, eg: studied political science in university, worked at a global news publication or has been a long time contributor for an established publication.
- Familiarity with and passion for Southeast Asia region.
- At least 10 years of business/technology/policy/political writing experience in SEA. Editing experience preferred.
- A wizard with words who excels at capturing the unique voice of others to draft and develop thought pieces and advocacy content.
- Master’s degree at a minimum. PhD will be a bonus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Serve as the writer and editor for all articles authored by Angsana Council members, managing the editorial process through researching, writing, copy-editing and final draft.
- Work collaboratively with our Council members to write deeply-researched pieces that offer a definitive understanding of topical subjects in the intersection of technological, socio-political, business, governmental policies.
- Apply a detail-oriented editorial approach to improve the structure and argument of written materials.
- Not be afraid to revisit pieces when multiple iterations are needed while working closely with the founding Council members.
- Extrapolate and assimilate thoughts, ideas and opinions into insightful written narratives.