Evidence Action is a global nonprofit organization with an approach distinctive in international development - we exclusively scale interventions that are backed by strong evidence and can be delivered with exceptional cost-effectiveness. Our programs have grown since our founding in 2013 to reach over 280 million people annually. We deliver high impact for every dollar spent, as recognized by GiveWell, The Life You Can Save, and Charity Navigator.
We do development differently. We take a data-driven approach to identifying, scaling, and continuously improving programs which deliver immense impact, ensuring these solutions measurably improve the lives of millions. Our Deworm the World Initiative has helped governments in Africa and Asia deliver over 1.4 billion childhood deworming treatments, improving health, education, and incomes. Dispensers for Safe Water provides sustained safe water access to over 4 million people in rural Africa, preventing childhood illness and deaths.
We drive innovation: Our Accelerator builds the next generation of exceptional programs, taking an approach most similar to a venture capital model. We are ruthless in exiting programs which do not meet our criteria; those that advance deliver outsized impact for millions of people.
We are global. Across eight countries in Africa and Asia, our 400+ people are united by a tremendous passion for our mission and impact. We are strong because of our diversity of experience, geography, and background - with over 90% of our people in the countries where our impact is focused.
We have big ambitions. Our goal is to double our impact by 2024, to fulfill our vision of a world where hundreds of millions of people in the poorest places have better opportunities and their lives are measurably improved. We believe in bold and urgent action - because poverty doesn’t wait, and neither should we.
We need great people. Our success to date is due to the collective work of our amazing staff. To achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for people who share our passion for evidence, cost-effectiveness, and scale. We seek individuals who take an entrepreneurial approach, enjoy tackling hard problems, and have a bias to action and results. If our vision and approach excite you as much as it does us, we invite you to join us.
About The External Relations Team
The External Relations team plays a leading role in positioning Evidence Action to donors, partners, governments, and media; developing and executing strategic approaches to strengthen our resource mobilization and brand; and coordinating internally to create and take advantage of opportunities for funding and dissemination of our impact. Our team works across multiple time zones, so a candidate with a willingness to find ways to take advantage of different time zones and iterate faster on content is highly desirable.
We are looking for a skilled writer to join our team. You will write for a variety of audiences, with a particular focus on donors, about our existing programs and how we develop new evidence-based and cost-effective interventions for impact at scale. This role will involve content generation, editorial support, and continuous iteration on messaging and materials in response to opportunities, challenges, and organizational plans and priorities.
If you love to write, are skilled at expressing complex, technical concepts in clear, compelling language, and are passionate about improving the lives of millions of people living in poverty, we are interested in you!
- Supporting the development of an organizational prospectus, and documenting the investment case for each of our programs;
- Preparing concept notes, investment memorandums, and funding proposals for individual and institutional donors;
- Preparing program-specific donor reports, as well as general updates for our supporters;
- Sourcing content from across the organization and writing insightful and compelling pieces, including blog posts, press releases, and long form articles;
- Supporting the development of presentations and accompanying talking points for staff, in preparation for a variety of external engagements;
- Maintaining an organized and accessible toolkit of content from which staff can draw to build written materials as needs arise;
- General editing, copy-editing, and proofreading support;
- Members of the External Relations team support each other to achieve our goals; other responsibilities may be assigned as needs arise.
- 3 - 5 years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, or communications OR in public health, international relations, or development economics with experience and interest in fundraising and communications;
- Fantastic written and spoken communication skills in English, with demonstrated ability to generate high-quality content for a range of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent listening skills, with the ability to elicit and understand needs, opportunities, and key messages;
- Meticulous attention to detail when editing, both within individual pieces of writing and working across multiple pieces to ensure consistency;
- Highly organized: able to handle multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously and consistently meet all deadlines;
- Mission-driven: a team player with the ability to adapt to shifting priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Familiarity with data visualization and presentation software for designing good quality communication materials is highly desirable.
This role can be located in our Washington D.C. office or remote. Please indicate your desired location in your cover letter.
Evidence Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.