Mozilla Corporation is the non-profit-backed technology company behind pioneering brands like Firefox, the privacy-minded web browser, and Pocket, the content discovery platform. More than 270 million people around the world use its products each month.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff are driven by our vision of becoming the trusted guide to a joyful internet. We design, build and distribute software that enables people to enjoy the internet on their terms.
MDN Web Docs is the premier technical reference for web developers, with over 17 million global users and 1,000 volunteer content contributors per month working to help make a better web. Web developers love MDN, and we are looking for an experienced web developer with proven technical writing skills who can help us continue to deliver the best possible content for developers.
Our team is highly distributed; working fully remotely is acceptable.
What You'll Get To Do
This Includes But Is Not Limited To
- Writing technical documentation for web developers, such as reference docs, guides, and tutorials.
- Updating GitHub repos with related information such as browser compatibility data.
- Crafting sample code and demos.
- Acquiring source information from web standards specifications, internal project documentation & bugs, and conversations with browser engineers and other team members.
- Soliciting technical and editorial reviews and incorporating feedback.
- Helping to triage and prioritize documentation bugs, and updating those bugs with documentation status.
- Providing reviews and edits on documentation written by others.
- Providing input and feedback on content strategy and roadmaps that define future MDN work.
- Identifying gaps in current developer documentation and proposing future roadmap items.
- Interacting actively and positively with a volunteer community of writers, developers and translators, providing direction or mentoring where appropriate.
- Taking ownership for handling high-value technical writing projects ranging in scope from small (a few days or a week, with 1-2 team members) to large (several months, multiple team members).
- Contributing to the scoping and implementation of MDN platform improvements as required.
- At least 4-5 years of relevant experience researching and writing documentation, code examples, and demos for web developers.
- Experience using Git and related tools such as GitHub.
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (for example, Jira, Bugzilla)
- Can read and understand technical specifications (for example, W3C, WHATWG, or TC39 specs).
- Ability to publish information using HTML, Markdown, and other online collaborative technologies.
- Ability to cope with fast-paced and constantly evolving environments.
- Able to communicate clearly in English, but English doesn’t need to be your first language.
- Ability to work with a geographically distributed team of employees and volunteers.
Bonus Points For
- Experience working with open source communities, extra bonus if you have contributed to MDN and/or Mozilla.
- Experience with modern web development workflows (using linters, etc.).
- Experience with Node.js.
- Experience with front-end frameworks, such as React, Vue, and Svelte
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
- Group: D
- Req ID: R2224
- Hiring Ranges:
- Remote Germany
- €68.000—€100.000 EUR