Boston.com is one of the most-read digital media outlets in the region. Each month, our stories reach millions of people, and we’re seeking to expand our offering by adding a sports staff writer to our team.
The ideal candidate is a highly collaborative, creative, versatile thinker who covers the topics and stories our readers care about on any given day, whether a Celtics playoff game or a Red Sox trade or a viral Instagram post.
This staff writer will be charged with reporting and writing stories that generate readership and loyalty. They will primarily achieve results through constantly and consistently producing coverage in line with our site’s editorial mission: What Boston really cares about right now.
- Craft timely, well-researched pitches, and work on assignments with equal enthusiasm. Cover a range of stories by reporting and/or aggregating credible sources, separating fact from fiction. Write copy with a meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Primarily focus on creating content that serves our region. Utilize user data as the main — but not only indicator of success, and distill findings into instinct and action.
- Consistently voice new ideas and solutions that help to improve our coverage. Actively contribute to brainstorms and discussions that impact the site’s offering.
- Experiment with, adapt to, and suggest digital storytelling approaches, formats, and tools that better serve our audience and team.
- 2-4 years spent reporting and writing for a media outlet, preferably covering the region.
- A track record of successful, audience-focused work.
- A progressive understanding of the ways that readers engage with content on social, search, and mobile platforms.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
BGMP will require that **all **employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes.
For those who are not vaccinated for company-approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment.
Boston Globe Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.