Well, hello! We’re Help Scout.
We make support software that empowers more than 12,000 businesses to support their customers in the most human, helpful way. We're a remote company more than 175 employees in different locations around the world, and we've been remote-first from day one. We believe that when teams represent different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, magic happens. The result is better products and a culture that enables everyone to bring their authentic selves to work.
We’re looking for an SEO Specialist to manage all of our on-page SEO efforts. Publishing high-quality, value-packed content has been a core part of Help Scout’s marketing strategy for nearly a decade, and our SEO content strategy has continually been our most effective and consistent lever for growing the business.
As our on-page SEO Specialist, you’ll manage a site that already has a solid technical foundation and a ton of optimized, high-ranking content. Your job will be to maintain what’s already really strong — working alongside our SEO strategist — as well as to build upon that foundation to help us continue to grow via content and SEO.
This is a full-time, remote position.
For this role, we are looking for someone located between CST (UTC-6) and GMT (UTC) time zones in order to overlap with the team.
About the Role
- The SEO Specialist role is a member of our Growth Marketing team, so in this role, you will ultimately be accountable for increasing revenue from our search-optimized content.
Some of the work you may find yourself doing on a day-to-day basis includes:
- Conducting keyword research to identify topics we should cover on the Help Scout Blog.
- Conducting search intent research for the keywords you prioritize, and using that information to create detailed SEO briefs and outlines for our writers.
- Monitoring rankings for the keywords we’re targeting so you can quickly make/request updates to important posts that are dropping in the rankings.
- Writing titles and meta descriptions for new marketing site pages, and reviewing those pages to make sure they’re set up properly for SEO before they’re published.
- Managing the relationship with our off-page SEO consultant, prioritizing pages to focus on, and making updates to posts to help with off-page initiatives.
- Making minor edits and updates to existing content to improve rankings and gain featured snippets and other SERP features.
- Monitoring your key metrics (organic traffic, rankings, trials, demo requests, and — above all — revenue) and reporting on those metrics.
Salary: We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. For this role, our bands are between $99,000 to $107,000 USD. Read more about how we approach compensation here!
Please note that at this time, we are only able to hire in the following locations: United States, Canada, Australia, Finland, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany, Norway.
- You have at least two years of experience in a role focused specifically on on-page SEO.
- You understand what quality content looks like and can even create it yourself if needed.
- You are highly collaborative and adept at working with multiple teams and individuals to get your work done.
- You enjoy learning in your field and stay up to date on SEO news and case studies.
- You’re located between CST (UTC-6) and GMT (UTC) time zones in order to overlap with the team.
Who You'll Work With
- Hillary Noble will be your coach, you'll report to her.
- Jessica Greene will help guide you as our part-time Growth Marketing Consultant.
- Tom Rayner will be your technical SEO counterpart.
- Alexa Ahrens will work with you on writing new blog content and updating existing posts.
- Saphiya Hindeyeh will collaborate with you on aligning our SEO and email nurturing strategies.
Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn't divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
Sabbatical - After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match - via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Bonuses - everyone is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus up to 8% based on shared company revenue goals.
Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and provide a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 160 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Why Help Scout?
We're remote. It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked remotely before — we’ve been doing it for nearly a decade and are helping to write the playbook — we’re happy to show you the ropes. Most folks that get a taste of working in a "remote first" company have a hard time going back to the old way of doing things.
We’re passionate about diversity and inclusion. The data is abundantly clear about diverse teams being more successful, and we're dedicated to setting the team up for success. Today our leadership team is 62% women, and that's just the start. Here's our DEI Dashboard where you can see all of our team demographic data and read about our commitment to this work.
We're committed to SMBs for the long term. Help Scout is focused entirely on serving small and midsize businesses, typically up to 500 employees, because those companies view customer service differently. It's not a cost to be optimized, it's their most effective marketing tool and a key differentiator from the competition. We built Help Scout for companies that truly value being customer-centric (like us) and want a product that shares their values.
We're leaving the world better than we found it. Did you know Help Scout is a certified B Corporation, with a mission to give away at least 1% of our product through Help Scout for Good? Our company exists not just to help ourselves, but to invest in our team, our customers, our community, and our environment.
Our Commitment to You
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it's the right thing to do.