Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life’s best work.(sm)
As part of Growth Proposal Services, the Proposal Writer helps Optum respond to requests for proposals (RFPs) from prospects and existing customers by accurately positioning the value of Optum’s solutions. The Proposal Writer reviews RFPs and related materials to understand the customer’s concerns, priorities and needs. They then creatively apply customer, solution, and sales strategy knowledge to develop high-quality RFP responses that are concise, complete, clear and compliant.
The Proposal Writer must demonstrate effective time and project management skills, exhibiting focus and poise within a fast-paced, deadline-driven, collaborative and complex environment where continuous communication is critical. You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges in a dynamic environment.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Write proposal responses for new and existing customers describing standalone and integrated Optum solutions, including behavioral health, EAP, population health management and wellness
- Conduct research within an extensive proposal content database, as well as other company resources, to identify relevant information and tailor content to directly answer questions, accurately reflect solutions and demonstrate value
- Understand and incorporate win themes, value propositions, benefits, differentiators, statistics/results and strategic information into proposal responses, executive summaries and cover letters
- Work closely with key stakeholders (e.g., sales, solution specialists, subject matter experts [SMEs]) to develop high-quality, customized and compliant responses
- Inspect and edit own work as well as apply feedback and edits into drafts from a variety of sources within established internal deadlines
- Partner with proposal managers, writers, content managers and quality reviewers to assess proposal drafts for accuracy, consistency and cohesiveness
- Adhere to quality principles, making sure answers are responsive, accurate, concise and strategic, and align to Optum Brand guidelines, Optum Proposal Style Guide, SME and customer preferences and other criteria
- Manage multiple projects with tight deadlines in a collaborative group environment
- Engage with graphic designers to develop concepts for graphics to enhance proposal responses and database content
- Follow established proposal processes and defined roles and responsibilities throughout proposal development, including new content capture and editing processes
- Participate in and contribute to continuous improvement of the proposal development process and writing models
- Maintain and grow solution knowledge through trainings and self-led learning as our portfolio of products and solutions evolve
- Improve writing quality and style progressively through continuous proposal work and feedback
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience writing proposals, preferably within the health care industry, including clinical research methodologies, public health (MPH), behavioral health and/or health services research
- Writing experience demonstrating a natural command of language, organization and flow
- Experience remaining organized while multi-tasking in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- BA or BS degree in English, journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, creative writing or related field
- Experience writing for Commercial Exchange, Medicaid, Medicare and Medicare Advantage proposals and member populations
- Experience navigating a variety of company resources quickly including a content database (currently RFPIO) to then apply insights and information to response development
- Solid interpersonal, communications, interviewing and relationship building skills
- Solid project management skills to handle competing priorities and deadlines while maintaining excellent attention to detail
- Analytical and critical thinking skills for understanding complex ideas and then expressing them simply to others
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with solid accountability, proactively seeking guidance in a timely manner
- Intense customer focus and ability to adapt style and approach to customer preferences
- Flexible and able to cope with changing conditions
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
- Requisition Number: 2148876
- Travel No
- Country: US
- Overtime Status: Exempt
- Schedule: Full-time
- Shift: Day Job
- Telecommuter Position: Yes
- Job Category: Sales Support
- Primary Location: Eden Prairie, MN
- (Remote considered)
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York City, or Washington Residents Only: The salary range for California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York City, or Washington residents is $67,800 to $133,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes – an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.