Grow with us! Borderless Magazine is a growing nonprofit startup that is shaping how the media covers immigrants and immigration. In the last year, our revenue has increased over 40%. As we continue to expand, our team’s salaries will reflect that growth.
We are seeking a gifted and energetic Managing Editor to handle the day-to-day management of our newsroom, including the editing of stories and editorial products. Our goal is to be the best at what we do and we’re looking for highly motivated individuals to help us make that a reality.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to work in a creative environment that values work-life balance. You’ll be part of a diverse team that is committed to reimagining how immigration and immigrant communities are covered by the media. In 2021, 99% of our stories were reported, photographed, or illustrated by people from immigrant communities. Borderless currently publishes one to two stories per week. Managing editor will be expected to edit stories in English.
Have a background in reporting or editing and looking to move into a newsroom leader role? Please apply! Location: Chicago with hybrid remote and in-person work Compensation: $55,000-$65,000 depending on experience, plus benefits and $1,000 moving stipend Application Due Date: July 1, 2022 Approximate Start Date: August 15, 2022 (flexible on in-person start date)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with reporters on stories from pitch to publication, including story ideation, structural and line edits, copy editing and fact checking
- Uploading final stories onto our website
- Writing and posting social media copy and assets
- Editing our weekly English newsletter
- Helping set our editorial calendar and story budget
Our Ideal Candidate Will
- Have at least five years editing or reporting experience
- Be an excellent writer with a background in reporting or editing feature or investigation stories
- Have strong news judgment, organization and decision-making skills
- Have a passion for working with and mentoring early career journalists and citizen journalists
- Be comfortable using the AP Style Guide
- Be familiar with SEO and its principles
- Be comfortable using Wordpress, Buffer, or similar products We know there are great candidates who may not exactly fit into this job description or who have important skills we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Benefits: The managing editor will receive a $5,000 health care stipend or health insurance, 20 days of vacation, 10 days of sick/mental wellness days, and 12 paid holidays. Vacation days increase to 25 days after two years of employment. Borderless offers six weeks paid family leave plus additional subsidized leave available through short-term disability insurance. Borderless also offers employees the option of saving in a 403b retirement plan. Culture: We are a small team with three full-time employees and two part-time employees. We are a woman-run nonprofit that is anti-racist. We believe in work-life balance, respect and boundaries. Our work hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you are sick, we don’t expect you to work. We have a culture of growth and the managing editor will be given both opportunities to mentor other journalists and be mentored. About Borderless: Our reporting is shining a light on the immigrants fighting injustice and the wrongdoings in our region — from ICE arrests to abusive landlords to local jails holding immigrant detainees. We are the winners of the 2021 Best Visual Journalism award in the 2021 LION awards and our investigations and feature stories on asylum seekers, detention centers, and environmental racism have been finalists for numerous local and national journalism awards. In addition to reporting and publishing stories in our online magazine, we mentor emerging immigrant journalists in our Pathways program and give journalists from other news outlets the tools they need to better report on immigration through our Immigration Reporting Lab.
How to apply: Borderless Magazine is an equal-opportunity employer and we encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including immigrants, women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and two samples of your editing or reporting work to Nissa Rhee at email@example.com with the subject line “Managing Editor” by July 1, 2022. Cover letter should answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in working at Borderless?
- What makes you a great candidate for this position? Please also note in your cover letter if you can read, speak or edit in Spanish or other non-English languages as those skills are especially valuable to us.