Join the team as our next Sr. Manager, Documentation for Segment.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About The Job
This position is needed to lead a team of technical writers as they carry out their mission to challenge and empower Twilio customers and developers to take advantage of our leading CDP and marketing platforms.
In this role, you will help the team create productive working relationships with Twilio product teams, keep Twilio’s documentation accurate and up-to-date, and facilitate teamwork and collaboration to help each of your team members perform to their full potential. You will partner with product managers, UX designers, engineers to lead cross-functional projects.
In this role, you’ll:
- Lead a team of technical writers, who will build content and experiences for the Segment and Twilio Engage products
- Interface with teams inside Twilio to ensure productive relationships with key documentation stakeholders in product development and support
- Use your expertise in the field of documentation and lead by example to empower your team to make great documentation
- Ruthlessly prioritize along with your team to determine where their actions will have the biggest impact
- Measure the results of your work, and clearly communicate those results to senior management
- Own and maintain the Segment Docs publishing platform and workflows.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- Experience leading a team of technical content contributors
- Empathy for software developers as an audience and customer
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally and create productive working relationships with external teams and stakeholders
- Willingness to collaborate asynchronously with a geographically distributed team
- Proven ability to grow and advocate for a diverse team
- Commitment to creating inclusive teamwork practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 3+ years people management experience
- Experience as a professional software engineer or experience as technical writer for technical/developer products
- Experience in the field of documentation or developer tools
- Experience supporting technical customers
- Experience working in a “docs as code” environment
This role will be remote, based in the United States.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The Estimated Pay Ranges for This Role Are as Follows
- Based in Colorado: $132,320 - $165,400.
- Based in New York, Washington State or California (outside the San Francisco Bay Area): $140,080 - $175,100.
- Based in the San Francisco Bay area, California: $155,600 - $194,500.
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.