Palladian Partners is a growing, full-service strategic communications and marketing firm, serving federal health agencies (e.g., NIH, FDA, CDC) and leading nongovernmental organization. We're looking for an outstanding Editor/Writer to join our Editorial team.
Our ongoing commitment to provide exceptional strategic communications, editorial support, distinctive design, and superior service to our clients is as unwavering as our desire to enrich people's lives with quality health information. Palladian Partners is dedicated to disseminating information about new discoveries in health, medicine, and social science to professionals, educators, patients, consumers, stakeholders, and the public. If you are passionate about health and science communications and looking for a communications firm where making a difference is core to our work, come join us.
To be considered for this position, you must be adept at editing or copyediting content aimed at a variety of audiences, from scientific experts to the general public, about wide-ranging health-related topics. You will edit feature stories, web content, social media, fact sheets, presentations, blog posts, and more, following a wide range of editorial styles. This job requires careful attention to detail. There will also be opportunities to write content.
You must be a creative problem-solver, have strong interpersonal communication skills, and understand the production life cycle of communication products.
- Develop, write, and edit materials, including plain-language web content about a wide range of biomedical research and public health topics
- Coordinate phases of the publications production process as needed
- Conduct editorial review of materials for clarity, grammar, and style. Ensure that content and materials use the proper tone of voice and reading level for the target audience(s)
- Edit materials for logic and accuracy
- Review, edit, and correct errors in visual information, such as figures, illustrations, charts, graphs, and tables
- Update style guides; raise concerns about style inconsistencies in the proper forum
- Collaborate with writers, editors, and other coworkers, including corporate leaders, project directors, strategists, and Section 508 specialists
- Bachelor’s degree in a communications, journalism, English, or related field; at least 3 years of experience preferred
- Meticulous eye for detail and quality, command of English grammar and punctuation, and proven ability to make sound, nuanced editorial decisions related to word choice and tone
- Familiarity with a variety of style guides, such as AP, APA, AMA, and Chicago
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously and keep projects on deadline
- Innate customer service mentality
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills
- Great interpersonal skills—must be comfortable interacting with all levels of company employees and working as part of a team
- Suitability for Federal employment, as determined by a background investigation
You’ll Earn Bonus Points If You Have
- Foreign language fluency, particularly Spanish
- Experience coordinating the production of federal government proposals
- A board certification for editing in the life sciences
- Experience mentoring other editors
- Experience crafting messages and using web writing best practices
- Experience working in a government contracting environment
- At this time we will only accept candidates who are presently eligible to work in the United States and will not require sponsorship.
- Our organization requires that all work, for the duration of your employment, must be completed in the continental U.S. unless required by contract.
- If you are local to our offices in Arlington, Silver Spring, Ann Arbor, or Portland this role will be hybrid.
- Must be able to work during eastern time unless approved by your manager.
- In addition to Palladian’s standard background process this role requires a government badge/clearance. More information can be found at: https://ors.od.nih.gov/ser/dpsac/services/know-before-you-go/Pages/getting-your-badge.aspx and https://ors.od.nih.gov/ser/dpsac/Pages/hot-topic.aspx
A link to your portfolio in your resume or application would be greatly appreciated.
Palladian employees are highly talented and are encouraged to think and work creatively and strive for excellence. This is a full-time, staff position located at Palladian's corporate headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland. Palladian offers competitive pay, excellent benefits, and the satisfaction that comes from working on interesting, meaningful projects every day. Palladian's dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us. Palladian Partners provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.