Our mission is to unlock human potential. We welcome you for who you are, the background you bring, and we embrace individuals who get excited about learning. Bring your experiences, your perspectives, and your passion; it’s in our differences that we empower the way the world learns.
Wiley’s prestigious physics and materials science portfolio, including the Advanced journal family (Advanced Physics Research, Advanced Photonics Research, Advanced Quantum Technologies), Annalen der Physik and physica status solidi, is looking for a dynamic and ambitious individual to join the team in the role of a Deputy Editor with a PhD in physics (all fields), photonics or related areas.
You will use your background in scientific research, your knowledge of the publishing landscape, and your strong communication and networking skills to drive the strategic development of one or more journals, raising the profile and visibility of the journal(s) in the community, and attracting new authors and content. The Deputy Editor is involved in the peer review process and decision-making of submitted manuscripts and ensures adoption of best practices and highest ethical standards in publishing.
How You Will Make An Impact
- Strategically develop one or more journals, together with the Editor-in-Chief, from scientific and publishing perspectives within the context of the broader physical sciences journals portfolio.
- Establish and maintain a strong network of scientists who are the journals’ authors, peer reviewers and board members.
- Leverage your network, knowledge of the subject area and its development, and desk research skills to drive content acquisition and submissions growth.
- Represent Wiley and the physical sciences portfolio at conferences and through in-person and virtual outreach activities at universities and research institutes.
- Collaborate with colleagues across departments to develop the journal portfolio.
- Contribute to the editorial evaluation, peer review, and decision making for manuscripts submitted to one or more journals.
- Collaborate with manager and colleagues to establish a team culture of trust, respect and high performance.
We Are Looking For People Who Have
- A PhD degree, ideally in physics, with an excellent research background and a strong understanding of recent trends and developments. Post-doctoral, industrial and/or international experience is welcome but not required. All fields are suitable, e.g., photonics, quantum science, condensed matter, fundamental physics, theory, and others.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills, with a flexible and innovative approach to problems and a focus on defining and achieving outcomes.
- Ability to work in a collaborative setting and achieve results through personal influence and engagement.
- A self-motivated, diplomatic, and flexible approach with outstanding organizational, efficiency and time management skills and an excellent command of the English language (both written and verbal).
- A strong understanding of scientific publishing, including commissioning and the peer-review process. Prior publishing, editorial or science communication experience is welcome.
- A keen interest in science and science communication and strong desire to advocate for innovations in publishing and open research.
- Confidence to present and represent the journal portfolio at conferences and through institute visits, nurture existing contacts and develop new networks, including the willingness to travel.
Enabling Discovery, Powering Education, Shaping Workforces.
We clear the way for knowledge seekers: illuminating the path forward for research and education, tearing down barriers to society’s advancement, and giving seekers the help they need to turn their steps into strides.
Wiley may have been founded over two centuries ago, but our secret to success remains the same: our people. We are willing to challenge the status quo, move the needle, and be innovative. Wiley’s headquarters are in Hoboken, New Jersey, with operations across the globe in more than 40 countries.
When applying, please attach your resume/CV to be considered.