Crustacean Compassion is a not-for-profit animal welfare organisation which campaigns for the humane treatment of decapod crustaceans such as lobsters, crabs, prawns, and langoustines, based on the scientific evidence of their sentience. Decapod crustaceans are not adequately covered under UK animal welfare legislation.
This means that many shocking methods of slaughter, handling and storage which would be illegal in other animals, such as boiling alive, are currently permitted. We are working to change this and are looking for a self-motivated and talented Copy Writer & Content Editor to support the successful delivery of a new project.
Crustacean Compassion is a small but highly regarded organisation, with a dedicated and exceptional team. The role offers the opportunity to help improve how decapod crustaceans are treated and make a significant difference to the lives of hundreds of millions of animals.
The primary purpose of the role is to support the delivery of Crustacean Compassion information resources via a bespoke website.
The website is in design and will provide a reliable source of information, advice and support for industry and decision makers at all levels of the fishing industry, wanting to improve the welfare of decapod crustaceans in their business.
This role requires working within the team as well as the ability to deliver independently.
Duration 4 - 6 Weeks Temporary Contract
- Work with the campaign team to produce audience-centric content plans and clear, concise copy that meets brand guidelines.
- Write compelling copy for web pages and accompanying resources, optimised for SEO with essential key word placement and layout, maintaining a recognisable and consistent brand voice throughout.
- Review current content and where necessary summarise or condense scientific and technical information into clear and concise language that engages readers.
- Produce creative, engaging, and informative home page, landing page and topic pages
- Develop, create, implement, and oversee the uploading of information onto the website according to the homepage definitions and topic areas.
- Ensure content is credible and that supporting information (paper references, photographs, videos etc) are referenced and aligned to the website and information.
- Edit and proofread copy as needed, ensuring everything is grammatically correct and accurate.
- You may be required to support the campaign team in production of key messaging documents for different information streams and develop press releases for mainstream audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Marketing or Communications
- Experience of scientific copywriting and editing
- Experience developing and posting new website content
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Proven experience creating targeted content.
- Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to multitask and work well under pressure.
- Fluent in English
- Highly organised and able to self asses work with excellent time management and meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, professional publishing skills.
- Knowledge of online content strategy and creation
- Knowledge and experience of SEO copy best practices.
- Experience of using digital communication platforms and Office 365
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach
- Ability to successfully work remotely as part of a small, dedicated team
- Experience of working on animal protection issues
- A genuine interest in aquatic animal welfare.