If you're like us, you agree that open source software is a wonderful and unique gift that the community of software developers across the world have given to each other. At FOSSA, we want to proliferate its usage with our software supply chain management platform that helps our customers know what licenses, vulnerabilities, and dependencies go into their software as they utilize open source software packages. And we won't rest until all companies, big and small, love and feel as comfortable with using open source as we are.
FOSSA is a rapidly growing series-B company with a truly distributed team. While our roots are in San Francisco, our growing team has members in several countries across many time zones. We're always working to find the perfect balance of effective approaches to distributed work, while maintaining the direct personal connections that help us work better together and love our jobs.
As a Content Writer, you'll be working directly with the Director of Content Marketing. You'll play a key role in a variety of mission-critical marketing projects, including our blog. You'll create compelling content that educates our readers, shares our story and vision, promotes our brand, and makes an impact across digital platforms.
In This Role You Will
- Produce awesome written content, with a focus on covering important developments in the open source software world. These may include new government regulations related to SBOMs (software bill of materials), open source license compliance lawsuits, software supply chain security trends, and more
- Work cross-functionally: provide copy editing and writing support to key stakeholders across the organization
- Research industry-related topics (combining online sources, interviews, and studies)
- You love writing — and you're good at it.
- You enjoy the challenge of creating content for a variety of audiences.
- You meet deadlines and follow through on commitments.
- You're comfortable with technical subjects. An engineering background isn't required, but some familiarity with open source software and modern development practices is a plus.
When You Apply
- Provide your resume/LinkedIn
- Share links to at least 3 published works (or a portfolio with links to at least 3 published works)
Focus Areas and Output: The freelance writer will initially be asked to produce the following types of blog posts:
- Webinar-based blogs
- Summaries of relevant government/industry publications
- Analysis/overviews of relevant new government regulations
- Coverage of breaking news, including zero-day vulnerabilities and other notable developments impacting the open source ecosystem
The freelance writer will be expected to contribute 3-4 blogs a month. This is a part-time contract (10-15 hours per week), remote position. There may eventually be an opportunity for the role to convert to a full-time opportunity.